Yahoo! Search is taking another step in extending the Yahoo! Open Strategy with the launch of Yahoo! Search BOSS, a web services platform that allows developers and companies to create and launch web-scale search products by utilizing the same infrastructure and technology that powers Yahoo! Search.
BOSS (Build your Own Search Service) is simple -- foster innovation in the search landscape
What is BOSS?
BOSS is a new, open platform that offers programmatic access to the entire Yahoo! Search index via an AP
- Ability to re-rank and blend results -- BOSS partners can re-rank search results as they see fit and blend Yahoo!'s results with proprietary and other web content in a single search experience
- Total flexibility on presentation -- Freedom to present search results using any user interface paradigm, without Yahoo! branding or attribution requirements
- BOSS Mashup Framework -- We're releasing a Python library and UI templates that allow developers to easily mashup BOSS search results with other public data sources
- Web, news and image search -- At launch, developers will have access to web, news and image search and we'll be adding more verticals soon
- Unlimited queries -- There are no rate limits on the number of queries per day
Me.dium: Social Networking
Me.dium is a social browsing software company offering a browser extension that allows people to surf with friends for the first time. By revealing this new Social Exploration Environment TM (SEE), Me.dium graphically connects users with their friends and others enabling users to interact online, similarly to how one interacts with people in the real world.
Hakia: Semantics Search Engine
Hakia is a general purpose "semantic" search engine, dedicated to quality search experience
hakia is focused on bringing quality results via its semantic search technology. Today's search engines bring popular results via statistical ranking methods. Popular results are not always quality results, and the searchers suffer in many ways ranging from wasted search time to using misleading information.
Cluuz, a next-generation search engine prototype
The difference between standard search engines and Cluuz is in the fact that Cluuz does some work for you. A standard search engine shows links in a list. Cluuz instead peers into the searched web pages, extracts important terms and images, clusters them and gives them in chart format (semantic graph) and in a tag cloud where you can click on any entity to further focus your search:
source : www.ysearchblog.com